Skip to main contentEnter
Attwells logo

Attwells Solicitors

Proud supporters of free and independent local journalism in Ipswich

Attwells staff outside their Ipswich office

An award-winning local law firm

Rated as "Excellent" on Review Solicitors with an impressive 4.8/5 on Feefo.

Ipswich's Ryan Meikle beats Fallon Sherrock to set up second round match with Luke Littler

News
Attwells logo

Attwells Solicitors

Proud supporters of free and independent local journalism in Ipswich

Ipswich darts player Ryan Meikle edged past Fallon Sherrock in a tense 3-2 victory at Alexandra Palace on Tuesday night, setting up a second-round clash with teenage sensation Luke Littler.

Why it matters: Despite falling behind early in the match, world number 62 Meikle fought back to deny the partisan crowd of a blockbuster Littler-Sherrock second-round encounter.

The big picture: The victory sets up a Saturday showdown with 17-year-old Littler, who returns to Alexandra Palace for the first time since his remarkable run to last year's final.

Ryan Meikle in action during his match with Raymond van Barneveld at All Pally at the 2022/23 PDC Cazoo World Darts Championships
Meikle edged past Fallon Sherrock in a tense 3-2 victory at Alexandra PalaceAlamy

By the numbers:

  • Meikle averaged 83.53 in his victory

  • He came back from 1-0 down to win 3-2

  • This is Sherrock's fourth consecutive first-round exit

What they're saying: "I'm very relieved to get over the line, it was a massive battle," Meikle said. "Fallon didn't play like she did a few years ago, and I was expecting the best version of Fallon."

Looking ahead: Meikle believes the pressure will be off when he faces fourth seed Littler: "I'm not going to tell you I'm going to win, but I've got a chance, so you never know."

Between the lines: The Ipswich player acknowledged he will need to improve his performance to challenge Littler, saying: "I don't think he has any weaknesses, to be fair. I think he's unbelievable."

The bottom line: While Meikle ended hopes of what would have been a headline-grabbing Littler-Sherrock clash, the Ipswich player now has the opportunity to make headlines of his own against one of darts' biggest stars on Saturday.

Attwells staff outside their Ipswich office

An award-winning local law firm

Rated as "Excellent" on Review Solicitors with an impressive 4.8/5 on Feefo.

Attwells staff outside their Ipswich office

Today's supporter

Attwells Solicitors

An award-winning local law firm. Attwells is rated as "Excellent" on Review Solicitors and holds an impressive 4.8/5 on Feefo.

Speak with us

Has Fabio Wardley's 'dream' Portman Road fight moved one step closer?

News
Attwells logo

Attwells Solicitors

Proud supporters of free and independent local journalism in Ipswich

The British heavyweight champion and diehard Ipswich Town fan could see his ambition to fight at his beloved club become reality after a new licence application.

Why it matters: Ipswich Town Football Club has applied for a variation of its licence at Portman Road. The application has requested boxing or wrestling entertainment to take place between 12:00 and 22:30 on Sundays to Thursdays, as well as 12:00 to 23:00 on Fridays and Saturdays.

West Stand at Portman Road stadium in Ipswich
West Stand at Portman Road stadium in IpswichHolly Woodard-Williams

What they're saying: Speaking with the BBC, an ITFC spokesperson said: "Following infrastructure improvements to Portman Road over the past couple of years, it will not be uncommon for the stadium to apply for various licences to host events across different sectors; this is just one of many that will start to appear."

For context: British heavyweight champion and Ipswich Town fan Fabio Wardley said it was his "dream" to fight at the ground.

In October 2024, Wardley told BBC Radio Suffolk he wanted to fight at Portman Road, saying: "It's still the dream and it's on the cards".

"If anything it's closer than ever now because being with Frank Warren my promoter, he's done stadium shows before and he knows how to put them on.

"When it happens is still a massive question but pieces are definitely falling into place for this."

Fabio Wardley at Portman Road stadium in Ipswich
Fabio Wardley at Portman Road stadium in IpswichAlamy

The bigger picture: Ipswich Town chief executive, Mark Ashton, said in November 2024 that the club had been in discussion with Wardley about appearing at the ground and that it was in the "pipeline" but not "imminent".

The details: The club has also requested to be permitted to include live music performances, playing of recorded music, dance performances as well as alcohol sales and late night refreshments.

Portman Road underwent a series of improvements last summer to prepare the ground for Premier League football, including new media facilities, more executive boxes and the introduction of safe standing areas at the ground for the first time.

What's next: Posters advertising the change have been put up in the area around the ground with people able to have their say on the change until 24 April.

Attwells staff outside their Ipswich office

An award-winning local law firm

Rated as "Excellent" on Review Solicitors with an impressive 4.8/5 on Feefo.

Load next article